Monday, June 1, 2009

Who am I?

I have a B.A. in Biological Science from Goucher College and a M.S. in Neurobiology and Behavior from Cornell University. I am a 2002 graduate of the College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University. I was the trainer for the Animal Behavior Clinic for the years I was a student there under the tutelage of Dr. Katherine Houpt, VMD PhD DACVB (chief of service), Dr. Vint Virga, DVM DACVB (resident), and Dr. Tracy Kroll, DVM (resident). As a student, I did an internship with Dr. Amy Marder, VMD and the behavior service at the ASPCA in New York City, as well as an internship with Dr. Houpt.

Since graduation, I have been an associate veterinarian at Fairmount Animal Hospital in Syracuse. I maintain my special interest in veterinary behavior, mostly in dogs and cats. I see a variety of behavior cases in the hospital; at- home visits in Central New York can be arranged. I am a member of the American Veterinary Society of Veterinary Behaviorists.

My primary objective as a veterinarian is to help pets and owners enjoy a more satisfying relationship with each other and maintaining the pet’s health to maintain the pet’s quality of life. Pets have the ability to enrich our lives immensely, and I feel that owners also have a responsibility to enrich their pets’ lives, too.

I have three dogs and a cat. Marcus (MACH Marcus Rochester Lee, CDX MXP MJP RN) is a 13 year-old Brittany who was my inspiration to become a veterinarian. He recently retired from agility and obedience. Whiskey (CH Top Shelf’s Crown Royal MX MXJ MXF AD) is a 5 year-old Brittany who is actively competing in agility at local and national levels. We are also starting some formal obedience training and hope to compete in that venue someday. Nutmeg (AKA Meg) is a former research cat from a Fat Cat Study at Cornell. Her primary life objectives are food and belly rubs. New to the household is baby Journey (Millette's Don't Stop Believin'). He's just a pup and learning how to be a good dog.